As a result of this post, I will be attending an NFL Health and Safety Event next week. If you have certain concerns, questions you’d like answered, please comment! I can’t wait to share what I learn!
- NFL coaches wouldn’t even let their sons play. “I was able to ask two NFL head coaches if they would let their sons play football. Both said no. They cited the speed of the game and the elevation of serious injuries…” via Should My Kid Play Football? A Sports Reporter and Mom Weighs In
- But it’s a ‘passage to manhood’ thing. “There are .. players who are trying to prove something to themselves. They are trying to prove they are not afraid… ” via Why You Should Let Your Son Play Football
- It’s too dangerous, barbaric, and the head traumas are harmful. Is Football Too Dangerous
- But there is more awareness around concussion prevention. via Take Concussions Out of Play
- Even Terry Bradshaw Wouldn’t Let Son Play Football Wait, isn’t he a Hall of Fame Quarterback who won 4 Super Bowls?
- But newly designed helmets are now available (even if they do cost over $300) via Can a Helmet Protect Your Child from Concussions?
- Maybe we’re all overreacting. Just let them PLAY! via Football Concussions not Scaring Kids Away from Friday Night Lights
So, what’s my answer? I still don’t know – although my 5 year-old has already asked to play several times. Honestly, he could care less about the ball, he just wants to run and TACKLE! Yes, he ‘bumps’ into everything and everyone – all the time! He runs into the wall thinking IT should fall down.
It’s hard to resist his innocent longing, so my response has been similar to what this man said in … Sports Doctor Answers “Would I let my son play football?” “Yes, son, I will let you play football. Now let’s go outside and practice your field goal kicking.”
- Steelers leading charge on concussion education; working with Hermon’s Collins (bangordailynews.com)
- The Beginning Of The End Of American Football (rattleandhumsports.com)
- NFL Youth Health & Safety Luncheon (ctworkingmoms.com)
- Football offers much despite dangers (goerie.com)